Monday, November 28, 2016

The Essential Items For Your Guest Bedroom



I’ve lived in Northeast Ohio for over 8 years now, and in that time I’ve had friends and family come stay with me several times, at least once a year. More people have come to visit me since I moved to Cleveland than when I lived in Tucson, which is an actual vacation destination. When I lived in Pennsylvania, I had exactly zero visitors – zero and I lived there for 3 years. 

That said, Cleveland has been my most popular city of residence and I’m loving it. My most frequent visitors are my sister and brother-in-law. They’ve stayed with me a few times in the two years I’ve lived at Redwood and at least once before that. Prior to moving into this apartment, I didn’t think of hosting guests as anything to make a fuss over. The visitors aren’t strangers. They’re people who you know and usually very well, so why make a big deal (give them some clean sheets and a towel and move on with it). 

Well, maybe it’s the fact of having a second bedroom and bathroom (actual accommodations for guests), or the fact that I’ve matured a bit in the past few years (read: I watch a ton of YouTube décor videos). Either way, I now see the value in making actual preparations for guests and in doing so, I’ve discovered a few essential items for when company is coming.

The Essentials

When hosting overnight guests, try to imagine the entire experience they will have from a perspective of 3 of your 5 senses – what will they taste, touch and smell in your guest bedroom.

I use my second bedroom as an office, so when guests visit me, I turn my bedroom (the master bedroom) into a guest suite. This is the easiest way for me to provide my guests with a comfortable experience, without having to rearrange furniture. The fortunate thing about using my room as the guest room is that whatever experience I provide for my guests, I also get to experience.

Tastes: This might seem like an odd sense to consider for a guest bedroom, but I always like to provide my guests with something to snack on in their room. If you’d like, you can make a snack basket of local treats, things they can only find in your city. You can also do the reverse and provide them with a taste of their own home town. If you want to get extra fancy, you could turn a dresser top into a snack bar with a Keurig – allowing them to make whatever beverage fits their fancy. The sense of taste is where you get to add the extra touch of luxury that makes your guest feel like they’re staying at a Bed & Breakfast, not just at their sister’s place. 
 
Touches: The most tactile experience in a bedroom will be the bed itself. If you can, it’s a good idea to provide your guests with a couple of pillow & blanket options. Some people like hard pillows and light blankets, others like soft pillows and heavy comforters. I like to dress the bed in removable (and coordinating) layers, so that my guests can cover or uncover to their personal comfort. 


Scents: Smell can be a tricky thing. When you stay in a luxury hotel, one thing you’ll notice is that the rooms always smell quite neutral – not overly fragrant. This is actually a good rule to stick with in a guest room, but I like to augment the neutral smell experience by providing my guests with candles and scented air fresheners they can use at their leisure. It allows them to set their own ambiance, not be forced into one I’ve selected for them.

If you’ve read any of my other posts, you’ll know that I’m not a fan of going nuts on décor purchases and entertaining. I am always a little concerned that people are using money as a way to attempt to impress people, but that it rarely adds to anyone’s enjoyment of the experience. But, in the case of hosting overnight guests, if the money is being spent in the pursuit of comfort and enjoyment for your guests – go all out! It’s like buying a gift, it’s an experience they’ll get to enjoy and remember. It’s also a gift that is reusable – if you trick out your guest room once, all of those amenities are available for future guests.

*Written by Lindsay S., holiday host and Redwood resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment