Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Election 2016: Finding Unity in the Community



If you’re like me, you spend your free time doing anything other than checking social media these days – which is why I can typically be found in the attached garage to my apartment working on recording some music (thankfully it’s a private garage so no one has to deal with my loud voice). 

It’s funny – I walk around my apartment complex every night (at least until that beautiful Ohio winter starts showing it’s ugly face) and if you didn’t know any better, you wouldn’t even realize there was something so tense and controversial going on. I’ll frequently stop and talk to my neighbors out walking their dogs, relaxing on their personal patios or otherwise enjoying the beautiful fall scenery around the neighborhood (and yes – I call it a neighborhood – it’s the friendliest apartment community I’ve ever been a part of), and whether it’s thanks to societal norms or plain and simple good manners, there’s no negativity in our conversations. There’s no mention of who’s voting for person X or Y, no exclamations about the latest scandal or newest tidbit released about the election. It’s just a couple of human beings, enjoying the simpler things in life, together… and at the end of the day, isn’t that what we all want: to enjoy life?

This election has done a great job telling us how our candidates are different from each other, but they don’t tell us the similarities. At the end of the day, no matter who you’re voting for, I think it’s safe to say we all want to be happy, safe and free. When we work together, no matter who the president becomes, we can achieve that. We’ve proved it time and again as a nation, and we’ll prove it again today. So go, exercise your freedom as an American and vote, but remember – we’re all in this together, regardless of whose name we check at the ballot box.

-Written by Justin H., musician and Redwood resident.

No comments:

Post a Comment