Wednesday, December 28, 2016

How To Live The Life Of Your Dreams


Sometimes the lyrics to a Queen song are just so spot-on that it’s painful. Okay, to be honest, the first song that popped into my head as I wrote that sentence was Fat-Bottom Girls (which do indeed make the rockin’ world go ‘round), but what I’m actually talking about is the first line of Bohemian Rhapsody – “Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?” These lyrics apply in both good times and bad. Some days I look at my life and wonder how I’ve managed to design a life that I really love – and other days I look at it and wonder how I got myself into this nightmare! 

Before I came to Northeast Ohio, I was attending a PhD program at a #1 research institution, doing research that I hated with and for people I didn’t like…not even a little. The majority of the time, I was completely miserable. I loved the teaching, loved the town, and the fact that I could take my dog into the woods and roam about for hours, but I also recognized that none of that was why I was there. And none of those loves were enough to outweigh the fact that I was spending countless hours of my life doing work that I didn’t love. 

Fast-forward 8 years and my life is completely different. In some ways it is better, and in other ways it's worse, but the biggest difference between now and 8 years ago are two resolutions that I made and have kept (and keep renewing) all these years – the first was a resolution to start actively living a life that I wanted, the second was a resolution to be content with whatever life I was living at the moment.

The Balancing Act

Essentially, I decided to live an emotionally balanced life; going after my dreams and goals, while being okay with whatever daily grind I have to do to get there. The reason the balancing act is important is because I’m not (nor have ever been) rich, wealthy, or well-off; I couldn’t swipe a card or write a check to start making my dreams come true. I had to do the work. And boy, that work is hard and sometimes painful. But in the end, it’s much more rewarding. 

How did I do it? The key for me was not doing it all at once. It was around the holiday season in 2007 that I decided to make a simple, but significant change. I decided that I was going to move to Cleveland. I didn’t quit my PhD program, I had completed all of my coursework and comprehensive exams, and I didn’t need to stay in the town to write my dissertation; I simply decided to move. That simple decision was the beginning of a series of simple, but significant decisions, all leading me to living a life that I truly love. Each year, I made a new resolution to walk forward into the life that I have now.

Deciding to Make a Change

So you’re wondering how I got here or if this is just who I am and that’s why it works for me? I can’t even begin to tell you how “not me” this whole thing is. I wasn’t raised to go for my dreams or to be content with what I have. I was raised to get a fantastic education and to achieve the standard societal goals (job, marriage, house, kids) and that my happiness was contingent on those achievements. I’m not sure I’ve mentioned it, but I don’t have any of those things, and I absolutely love my life. But, it was hard to decide to go against the grain and do something different from what I was taught and what my family expected of me. It was difficult, but obviously not impossible. All I really had to do was decide to make the change. I had to choose the harder path, the one that wasn’t already carved out, the one that no one in my family had taken – we’re not talking Robert Frost “Path less traveled by”, we’re talking Lewis & Clark uncharted territory
Look, my point in talking about this now is this…New Year’s Day brings about the pressure to resolve to make changes in our lives – but those changes are always pretty standard stuff (lose 10 lbs, get a new job, spend more time with the kids, go on more dates). What helped me wasn’t looking at my entire life and trying to change it all, but looking at my biggest pain and deciding what I was willing to give up to change it. This new year, don’t be like everyone else. Evaluate your life, highlight your pain, ignore the negative voices (especially the ones in your own head), and make a decision to change just one thing…but make that thing the one significant thing that will honestly change your life. And resolve to be okay with charting your own course to the life of your dreams.

*Written by Lindsay S., avid dreamer and Redwood resident.


No comments:

Post a Comment